"Officials said prima facie it appeared that the animal died of electric shock."
Siliguri, June 1 - An elephant was electrocuted when it ventured into a maize field at Singhimari in northern West Bengal Sunday, forest officials said.

The male pachyderm, aged 6-7 years, was found lying dead in the field in Baikanthapur forest division in Jalpaiguri district. Wildlife officers rushed to the spot after witnesses reported the carcass.

Officials said prima facie it appeared that the animal died of electric shock.

It appears the elephant stepped into the electric wire fencing put up to prevent wild animals from damaging crops, said Sukhna elephant squad ranger Nita Roy.


comments powered by Disqus
Read more on:
 

PERMALINK

http://www.nerve.in/news:2535002378281
You can quote the permanent link above for a direct link to the story. We do not archive or expire our news stories.


STORY OPTIONS
  Email this story to a friend
  XML feed for India


 
COPYRIGHTS INFORMATION
All rights reserved for news content. Reproduction, storage or redistribution of Nerve content and articles in any medium is strictly prohibited.
Contact Nerve Staff for any feedback, corrections and omissions in news stories.
 

All rights reserved for the news content. Reproduction, storage or redistribution of Nerve content and articles in any medium is strictly prohibited.