"Efforts to resuscitate the youngster continued en-route to hospital."
London, June 12 - A two-year-old Indian-origin child choked to death when a grape he was eating at his home in Britain got lodged in his throat, an inquest heard.

Jenil Sharma, the only child of Mayur Sharma and Kruti, choked on a grape he was eating while watching TV in his family home in Leicester in Britain's East Midlands Feb 24 this year, Leicester Mercury reported Thursday.

The two-year-old was pronounced dead at Leicester Royal Infirmary after efforts to revive him failed.

Coroner Donald Coutts-Wood recorded a verdict of accidental death Wednesday at Leicester Town Hall, after an inquest hearing ended into the death of a happy, intelligent little boy, as described by the parents.

During the inquest proceeding, the police said: Jenil had been eating grapes from a bowl in the living room and watching TV with his seven-year-old cousin, while Mrs Sharma was in the kitchen preparing food.

She heard him make a strange sound and went to the door, where his cousin said a grape had stuck in Jenil's throat.

Mrs Sharma tried to reach it but was unable to. She put the boy over her lap and gently slapped his back to dislodge the grape but was unsuccessful, police said.

Police, however, stressed that there were no suspicious circumstances, whatsoever in Jenil's death.

Speaking after the inquest, the parents said they were devastated by the loss of their only child.

Jenil was a very happy baby -- curious, sharp and intelligent for his age. We will miss him terribly, the father said.

An ambulance reached the scene in ten minutes, after Jenil's cousin contacted the emergency service through her relatives.

Paramedics quickly removed the grape using a specialist tool but, by then, Jenil had stopped breathing and gone into cardiac arrest.

Efforts to resuscitate the youngster continued en-route to hospital.

A report prepared by Samantha Jones, consultant in paediatric emergency medicine at Leicester Royal Infirmary, stated Jenil's death was due to cardio-respiratory arrest, caused by a lack of oxygen, in turn caused by an obstruction in the throat caused by a foreign body.


comments powered by Disqus
Read more on:
 MERCURY (4251 views)
 

PERMALINK

http://www.nerve.in/news:2535002380909
You can quote the permanent link above for a direct link to the story. We do not archive or expire our news stories.


STORY OPTIONS
  Email this story to a friend
  XML feed for Europe


 
COPYRIGHTS INFORMATION
All rights reserved for news content. Reproduction, storage or redistribution of Nerve content and articles in any medium is strictly prohibited.
Contact Nerve Staff for any feedback, corrections and omissions in news stories.
 

All rights reserved for the news content. Reproduction, storage or redistribution of Nerve content and articles in any medium is strictly prohibited.