"This resolution is a complete disrespect of UGC's order. Instead of playing tricks and keeping students in the dark, the VC should take back FYUP at the earliest to save DU's dignity. We think the MHRD should directly intervene now, said a statement from DUSU."
New Delhi, June 21 - Even after a strict directive from the University Grants Commission (UGC) asking the Delhi University to roll back the four-year undergraduate programme, the varsity Saturday said the course is not against the National Education Policy (NEP).
The UGC in its letter to the DU Friday night had said that the four year programme was against the NEP 1986 which envisages 10+2+3 policy and had asked them to restore the three-year programme.
The varsity academic council then held a meeting Saturday and passed a resolution saying the programme was in sync with the NEP.
A resolution was passed in which it was decided that the four-year programme does not violate the NEP as there are exit points after the third year and the fourth year is completely optional, said one of the academic council members.
According to a DU official, the resolution was passed by a majority of 80 members. There were 10 dissenters.
Under the four-year programme introduced last year, a student can exit after the third year with a bachelors degree. However, if the student completes all four years he/she will be awarded a bachelor of honours degree.
The UGC had said that to maintain uniformity in the system of higher education, the Delhi University should go back to its three-year programme that is practiced in all universities across the country.
The Delhi University had said that since it is an autonomous university, UGC cannot intervene. But in its letter, the commission has also written that by virtue of powers conferred under section 12 of the UGC Act 1956, they can issue directives to DU.
Apart from restoring the three-year programme, the commission had also asked DU not to conduct admissions this academic year under the four-year programme.
However, DU has said that it will continue its admission process which begins Tuesday with its four-year programme.
The varsity has also been asked to make appropriate arrangements for the students admitted under the four-year programme so that they can easily migrate to three-year and do not lose a year.
However, the other agendas proposed under the FYUP were deferred and not discussed at the academic council meet.
In view of the changed circumstances, the university has deferred the introduction of the new skilled-based applied courses as a part of the undergraduate programmes which were to be introduced under the MoU signed between the University of Delhi and National Skills Development Corporation (NSDC), said an official statement from DU Registrar, Alka Sharma.
Opposing the majority decision of the academic council, the Delhi University Teachers Association has alleged that such a resolution was a tactical move by Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh to delay the scrapping of the four-year programme.
We demand that the UGC act immediately to ensure compliance with its order. The DUTA further demands urgent action for removal of Dinesh Singh from the position of VC of DU, said DUTA in a statement.
Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) also disapproved of the decision.
This resolution is a complete disrespect of UGC's order. Instead of playing tricks and keeping students in the dark, the VC should take back FYUP at the earliest to save DU's dignity. We think the MHRD should directly intervene now, said a statement from DUSU.
In the past few months, there have been several protests by student groups and teachers associations against the FYUP.