"There are about 2,500 students pursuing the B.Tech programmes."
New Delhi, June 28 - Admissions to Delhi University's three-year undergraduate programmes will begin Tuesday as proposed by the committee of principals Saturday, a day after the controversial four-year programme was rolled back.
The dates for admissions was decided by the committee of principals which was constituted by Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh Friday to decide on the modalities for admission.
University sources said this was the most feasible proposal.
As per the proposal, the cutoff will be declared by the varsity Monday and admissions will begin Tuesday.
Around 2.7 lakh applicants have applied for admission to 54,000 seats this year in Delhi University, one of the oldest and premier universities in the country.
As the university is going back to the 2012-2013 programme, the six B.Tech and bachelors of honours in management studies (BMS) courses will be rolled back and there will be no fresh admissions to them.
The executive council resolved to follow the 2012 ordinance for courses and syllabi. The implication of this decision is that DU will offer only those courses which existed in 2012-2013. B.Tech and BMS courses did not exist in 2012, DU executive council member Abha Dev said.
Earlier in the day, the varsity's academic and executive councils passed a resolution to officially rollback the controversial four year undergraduate programme, which had stalled the admission process to 64 of DU's 78 affiliated colleges since last week.
So with the roll back, B.Tech psychological science will become applied psychology.
Instead of BMS, there will be three courses of B.A. (honours) Business Economics (BBE), Bachelor of Business Studies (BBS) and Bachelor of Financial and Investment Analysis (BFIA). These three courses were merged into BMS under the four-year-programme.
All this came a day after Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh said the varsity had decided roll back the FYUP, ending a row between the University Grants Committee and DU over its continuation.
However, there is still no clarity about those B.Tech and BMS students who are already admitted under the FYUP, introduced last year.
Uncertain about their future, these students protested outside the human resource development ministry, the UGC office and the varsity. They have also submitted a memorandum to HRD Minister Smriti Irani.
We have submitted a memorandum to Joint Secretary R.P. Sisodia, but no one is ready to give us a written assurance. This is a pressing time for us, Akshay Kachroo, a student of B.Tech computer science from Maharaja Agrasen College, told IANS.
There are about 2,500 students pursuing the B.Tech programmes.
It is also being said that the standing committee constituted by the UGC will work on the modalities for these students.