" She said that US disaster response officials were in contact with their Chinese counterparts and the US stands ready to assist."
Washington, Aug 4 - The White House Sunday offered condolences over loss of lives in China's southwestern province of Yunnan, where a strong earthquake befell earlier in the day, saying the US was ready to help.

The United States offers sincere condolences to all those who lost loved ones in the Aug 3 earthquake in southwestern China, Xinhua quoted National Security Council spokesperson Bernadette Meehan as saying in a statement.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those that lost their lives, those injured or displaced, and all the people of China on this difficult day, she added.

She said that US disaster response officials were in contact with their Chinese counterparts and the US stands ready to assist.

A massive relief effort is underway in Yunnan, as the death toll has risen to at least 367, with 1,881 others injured in the 6.5-magnitude earthquake.


comments powered by Disqus
Read more on:
 

PERMALINK

http://www.nerve.in/news:2535002393285
You can quote the permanent link above for a direct link to the story. We do not archive or expire our news stories.


STORY OPTIONS
  Email this story to a friend
  XML feed for Americas


 
COPYRIGHTS INFORMATION
All rights reserved for news content. Reproduction, storage or redistribution of Nerve content and articles in any medium is strictly prohibited.
Contact Nerve Staff for any feedback, corrections and omissions in news stories.
 

All rights reserved for the news content. Reproduction, storage or redistribution of Nerve content and articles in any medium is strictly prohibited.