Over 30 shops were gutted in the fire, said fire officials, estimating that the losses would be in lakhs of rupees."
New Delhi, Aug 25 - Over 30 shops and an NIIT centre were gutted in two separate fire incidents Monday. Three fire service officials suffered minor injuries.
The first incident was reported from A-block in Connaught Place where a fire broke out around 7.50 a.m. inside an NIIT (National Institute of Information Technology) computer training centre situated on the first floor of a commercial building.
Around 15 fire tenders rushed to the spot and it took around three hours to douse the fire which was caused by a short-circuit.
Two fire officials received minor burn injuries while one had a minor cut, Delhi Fire Service (Director) A.K. Sharma told IANS.
In the second incident, a fire broke out in Kinari Bazaar in old Delhi's Chandni Chowk area - a wholesale retail market specialising in wedding attire and accessories - around 2.30 p.m.
Around 20 fire tenders reached the spot and the fire was doused completely by 6 p.m.
The fire was caused by a short circuit in an electricity transformer and soon spread to a nearby building which houses over 40 shops.
Over 30 shops were gutted in the fire, said fire officials, estimating that the losses would be in lakhs of rupees.
Firefighters faced a lot of difficulties in reaching the spot because of the narrow lanes in the area, he added.