According to Delhi Police, Kanda was harbouring BKI member Dilbag Singh alias Bugga and both were arrested July 14, 2005."
New Delhi, Sep 3 - A man who was harbouring a Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) operative involved in the 2005 twin blasts at the Satyam and Liberty cinema halls in the capital which left several cinegoers injured, has been convicted by a court after he pleaded guilty.
Additional Sessions Judge Reetesh Singh convicted Surinder Singh Kanda after he pleaded guilty for harbouring a BKI man involved in the twin blasts of May 22, 2005 during the screening of Hindi film Jo Bole So Nihaal.
After Kanda pleaded guilty, the court sentenced him to jail for nearly five years, which he had already spent behind bars during the trial.
As the accused (Kanda) has voluntarily pleaded guilty to the offences alleged against him, his plea of guilt is accepted and he is individually convicted for the offence for which he had been separately charged ie under Section 19 (harbouring) of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, the judge said in the Aug 28 order and which was released to the media Wednesday.
The court noted that Kanda remained in jail from July 14, 2005 to May 10, 2010.
Considering the period of his incarceration and the fact that he has voluntarily admitted his guilt, he is sentenced to the term of imprisonment already undergone by him, the court said.
Kanda was also asked to pay a fine of Rs.10,000.
According to Delhi Police, Kanda was harbouring BKI member Dilbag Singh alias Bugga and both were arrested July 14, 2005.
Police said that during investigation, it was revealed that Dilbag Singh conspired with top BKI operative Jagtar Singh Hawara and others to commit terrorist acts.